Welcome to Expressive Arts

About Us

Outwood Academy Portland is a specialist Arts school and was awarded the Artsmark Gold Award last year in recognition of the Outstanding Arts provision that the Academy offers. The Expressive Arts Team deliver a varied and inclusive curriculum supporting all aspects of the specialism.
The faculty has strong links with its primary feeder schools, local community arts groups and County organisations. The faculty offers an extensive extra-curricular program which includes Art club, Prop Club, Dance Clubs, Drama Club, Rock Club, Choir, Concert Band, Percussion Ensemble and many others.
The faculty organises art exhibitions, recital evenings, drama productions and showcase events throughout the year. In addition, the Academy stages an annual musical theatre production. In 2013 the two musicals were ‘Joseph and his Technicolour Dreamcoat’ and ‘Little Shop of horrors’ . The play was ‘Alice in Wonderland’. In 2014 the production is ‘Grease’.
The faculty is made up of six staff, two in each art form. In addition the music department is supported by a team of eight peripatetic tutors who deliver free instrumental lessons on every instrument.

Key Stage 3


Students explore and experiment with a variety of different materials and techniques to develop and refine their skills. They work with drawing, mark-making, collage, relief, ceramics painting and pastels.
Years 7 and 8 are aimed at developing drawing ability and just because you can’t draw when you start at Outwood Academy Portland doesn’t mean you will never be able to draw. Drawing is an acquired skill and practice makes perfect. We show you lots of techniques to enable you to develop your drawing and many other art skills.
There are three projects in each year group covering Portraiture, Landscape and Still Life.
Year 7- Julian Opie Portraits, Van Gogh/Hockney Landscapes and African Masks.
Year 8- Insects, Still Life inspired by Jon Burgerman and Pop Art.

  • Success at Worksop Music Festival!

    The Outwood Academy Portland choir, Pitch Perfect, competing for the first time, gained first place and a distinction in the Worksop Music Festival, and was the warm up to even greater achievements for many of our students.


  • Upcoming Events

    A Night at the Musicals - March 18th 2016 Little Shop of Horrors - July 13th, 14th and 15th 2016




Drama is a subject which encourages students to use their imagination, develop thinking skills, group collaboration and self-confidence in a fun and stimulating environment. It is a very popular subject which is taught once a week in Year 7 and Year 8.
In Year 7 students study mime, physical theatre, pantomime and many other enjoyable schemes of work. These aim to introduce students to Drama and students learn about numerous dramatic techniques and skills, developing their confidence as performers
In Year 8 we expand the students’ knowledge through the exploration of storytelling and horror, creating empathy through characterisation, a chosen play about issues relevant to students and a number of other engaging topics. This year builds upon the techniques and knowledge learned in Year 7 and gives students the chance to extend their ability to create, perform and evaluate performance work.



Within this subject students have the opportunity to:-
Listen and analyse music from a wide variety of styles
Study music from various cultures
There are many opportunities for students to perform in extra-curricular activities catering for every instrument. From Rock Band to String Quartet, there is something for everybody. All instrumental and vocal lessons are free of charge providing an excellent opportunity for students to acquire instrumental skills for life. Students prepare for Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music , and London College examinations from grade 1 through to Diploma level. In 2014 the music department was awarded the Guardian Schools Shield for the most outstanding contribution to the Music Festival.


Key Stage 4


Students are entered for OCR GCSE Art and Design.
The course consists of two components: A Portfolio and an OCR Set Task.
The Portfolio is worth 60% of the mark and the Set Task is worth the remaining 40%
During the course students will explore and experiment with materials, techniques and ideas to create a personal response to a given theme while developing their 2d and 3d art skills.
Students are given support during ‘enrichment time’, where catch-up and support sessions are on offer each week.



At Key stage 4 students follow the OCR GCSE Drama course which explores themes, genres and techniques equipping students to complete the GCSE.